Monitors viewing comfort : CCFL backlighting versus LED backlighting ?

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Phil Rose
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,389Gear list
Like?
Re: Bottom line ?
In reply to alpshiker, Mar 7, 2013

alpshiker wrote:

So here's the bottom line I come to :

— Use a LED monitor if you work in a bright environment, where you will keep the monitor set at high brightness.

— Otherwise, if the monitor has to be dimmed a lot, it is advisable to stay on the CCFL route, until perhaps monitor manufacturers will bring low light level LED monitors to the market, designed for those particular working conditions.

Does that make sense ?
Paul

Yes. Makes good sense.

And also keep in mind that when a CCFL monitor is used for photography purposes (esp. when printing is involved), the relatively low white-point luminance that will be used (mine is calibrated at 90 cd/ft2) has the desirable "side-effect" of probably prolonging the lamp lifetime relative to use at the retina-burning levels that so many people seem to believe is desirable.

I've had my NEC 2690 WUXi for exactly 5 (five!) years as of this month. It's a wide-gamut, CCFL-based monitor and has been running 24/7 for the vast majority of that 5 years. It's calibrated frequently and shows no signs of "degradation".

Phil

http://pirose.zenfolio.com

Phil Rose's gear list:Phil Rose's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow