Fotodiox Puts a 645 Medium Format Back on Sony NEX

Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
verybiglebowski
Senior MemberPosts: 2,906Gear list
Like?
for 4x5" camera and lens owners, there is a cheaper solution...
In reply to moregone, Mar 7, 2013

moregone wrote:

Can someone help me understand what this does?

http://fstoppers.com/new-accessory-from-fotodiox-puts-a-645-medium-format-back-on-sony-nex

Sounds epic and the crops they show are impressive, but I guess I don't understand. Is this a big adapter for Medium format lenses? I thought the "Back" was the sensor in Med format so I am a bit confused.

-- hide signature --

I'd rather be an indication of my future, than a product of my past" - Me

I bought this adapter plate long time ago. With a EF to NEX adapter, I can use my NEX too.

Fotodiox is using same idea, but because MF lenses has focus shells, (large format, use bellows for focusing), they can be mounted straight to the camera via appropriate adapters.

This is making whole setup much smaller, and that is certainly benefit of Fotodiox approach.

In both cases you can move camera up and down (Fotodiox integrated vertical movement in their adapter), but with a bellows, you can move also lens (tilt and shift).

There is nothing automated on the Fotodiox adapter (interesting idea however, and surely possible, but rather expensive), it is fully manual device.

Fotodiox is welcomed addition to endless mount possibilities for NEX, but IMHO, quite overpriced. There is nothing revolutionary behind it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow