Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
McKie
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
Re: D800 Left AF UK repair experience
In reply to primeshooter, Mar 7, 2013

primeshooter wrote:

McKie wrote:

I realise this post might frustrate some people. If that's the case skip over it.

My D800 has been back to Nikon UK (Richmond) twice now for back focus issues with the far left viewfinder sensors. It's still not sorted. The problem is most pronounced with wide angle lenses wide open but still exhibits it at 70mm which is a nightmare for portraits when I'm wanting to get an eye tack sharp.

I've been in touch with Nikon again. This time they don't want me to send the body in but rather submit RAW images which I have done.

There is a consistent problem with the left sensors which is not exhibited by the centre or right sensors. Given this inconsistency, my experience with previous autofocus cameras, and the cost of the professional D800 body I do not accept that these focusing errors are within an acceptable level of tolerance.
How do I pursue this to an appropriate resolution - should they provide me with a replacement D800 body or arrange for a refund from the sales outlet? The body was purchased around 10 months ago. Any lawyers with experience of retail law able to give me a steer?

Has anyone got experience of Nikon arranging a refund or a replacement body?

Much to my wife's confusion and frustration I have managed to get a used D3 body which I have much more confidence in. I do use my photography as a source of income and I need to have confidence in the kit I'm using.

Thanks in advance for constructive comments.

Same sort of boat here with Nikon surrey. Just general poor AF etc. They have tried to fix it and failed, keep saying it's within spec etc but it's terrible and inconsistent. Have requested another body but they said to me the only way this is possible is through the original seller and they will not furnish me with a new copy. They are pursuing a claim with Amazon now via email, have just asked for my proof of purchase which I have sent them. I'll let you know.

Please do keep me posted.  I too have requested new body or a refund.  I can understand the need to go via the original retailer but if Nikon helps with that process then it's a positive thing.  Mine came from Dixons but I haven't been in touch with them yet.  I keep giving Nikon the opportunity to sort it but I just think I've got a 'bad egg.'  There are a lot of positive posts about the d800 so clearly there are some good ones out there!  I'll keep you posted.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow