Is it worth stepping into the world of Medium Format photography? (film or digital)

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Questions thread
Jalmod90
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
Re: As a learning exercise ...
In reply to Leswick, Mar 7, 2013

Leswick wrote:

@OP

As to meters, Pentax digital (1 degree) is a really fine one (there are others). Usually it will cost 180 to over 300. I bought mine from KEH and it's a Minolta F. Part of the reason for Minolta is, since it has a PC flash socket, so it can read the flash output off the subject. I've seen people get lured by the analog Pentax meter that costs between $50-150 depending on condition, but if something does not work there are no parts (rather old meter).

The reason lots of folks went to TLR is because the lenses (if in good condition) will perform similarly to Hassy or Mamiya. The latter models have more options in lenses and accessories. Both, Hassy and Mamiya will accept the digital backs (Phase One or Leaf). As to format, that's rather subjective too, some will go with 6x7 and other prefer 6x6.

From what I understand is that Adorama has a lab. Also, there is Alkit, Accucolor (in NJ), Baboo on West 20th, and US Color or Mercer St. You can also talk to some of the guys in NY to find out their preference. Many labs have closed doors recently.....so there is no 100% that this list is accurate. I was told that Duggal is not a very reliable one. People that are really serious about outcome would take 4 rolls of film (arbitrary number) and shoot the same identical subject 4 times....then have 4 labs develope it. Once you determine which lab is the best, you can send second test to see if they are consistent....then you can sleep better :>). It may seem over the top, but some labs abuse the soup.

As it's been indicated, you can get a tank to develope film, chemistry, thermometer, fishing line, clips....and you pretty much could develope your b&w film, hang it up to dry....all on the road/in the motel. Sure, you're not going to have purified water, bla bla + other luxuries, but....

Good luck deciding.

Leswick

I'm going to have to give Adorama a call. I'd love to develop my own film, I used to process 35mm B&W, but unfortunately I don't have the space available space anymore.

-- hide signature --

"In the Internet age, the bathroom is now the photography studio.In the film age, the bathroom was the developing lab.
And before the film age, I guess it was just the outhouse." - Anonymous

Jalmod90's gear list:Jalmod90's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow