Flat view
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,430
Like?
Mirrorless cameras part 2.
Mar 7, 2013

Richard wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

But to each his own, sorry you chose poorly, maybe you will be able to get a great Nikon/Canon system next time around.

Lol. I was wondering whether it was going to be a mirrorless user or a DSLR user who was going to be the first to cross over into fanboy style attacks. Ladies and Gentlemen, I present Richard. You can always tell when someone has a strong argument – when they label everyone who bought a particular camera an idiot.

I did not call you an idiot, just that you chose poorly and that I would not own one. I am not a fanboy, I own 2 brands, I just buy what is best. The Oly is not the best for a number of reasons and I think mirrorless will decline, but I also don't understand the need for a slightly smaller camera when a slightly larger camera is so much better and more flexible. That to me seem fanboyish but I am glad there are different manufacturers to produce different camers for different wants.

I'm sorry it offends you that I and lots of other people happen to like a particular camera.

Fine, but if Oly and other mirrorless manufacturers produce poor quality and they are not that much smaller and Nikon/Canon gets even smaller (which I know they can do). I think you will see the decline in popularity in other places not just the US.

Of course, we're all secret users of the super secret special anti purple filter. I could tell you what it is, but then I'd have to kill you.

My solution involves no filter but a different system that is almost as small.

I gave you my mini kit list. If you want to compare put something together.

Not necessary, neither you or I are going to change our opinions on this. I see the Nikon crop sensor systems getting smaller, near the size of the mirrorless and you don't, fair enough.

Not sure why you're comparing the Oly lenses with a bunch of other mirrorless lenses. I didn't say I needed or wanted the smallest mirrorless. Not sure why you think I'd want a pancake either.

Just pointing out that your reason for Oly is because it is small, even though the Nikon/Canon are superior.

Your primary suggestion appears to be "go bigger".

I said that I think that mirrorless is more likely to die than DSLR. The reason is because of the split, phone and DSLR, the mirrorless is too close in size to the DSLR from Canon/Nikon and is lacking so I think we will see a decline in other places not only the US, that was my point. That is also an opinion.

As I pointed out, I've done that in the past and wasn't impressed. The camera stayed at home a lot more often.

The size difference is just not that big to cause someone to leave the camera at home or not. But I am glad you are excited about your Oly so it makes you want to take more pictures, that alone is worth the price of admission.

There's not enough IQ difference to warrant going for a bigger system, and the other advantages to a DSLR I find minor enough not to care about.

It is not just IQ, it is built in flash, touch screen, more lenses, 3 times longer battery life, no purple, lens view or live view (good in bright sun), bigger sensor, migration path to FF the list goes on but again, it will not change your mind and if you are happy with what you have, then it won't make any difference.

Ok Richard. I've given you my mini kit list. Can you please put together something simliar so we can have a look at it? Don't forget though, you have to use FF lenses to keep the migration path to FF open.

As for your advantages, OM-D has a touch screen, more than enough lenses, more than enough battery life. I've never seen the purple flare issue. Bigger sensor is for me actually not an advantage. Dunno what you mean about lens view or live view as the OM-D also has EVF+LCD. In short, you got nothing. It's like arguing that a Ferrari can go faster than everything else, when there's speed limits. Also, as I pointed out, I've been using a DSLR for the last 5 years. I did actually balance up the pros and cons before I bought the OM-D.

ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow