Started Mar 7, 2013 | Questions thread
confyushis
Contributing MemberPosts: 881Gear list
Like?
not so easy ...
In reply to Zadillo1, Mar 7, 2013

Zadillo1 wrote:

Hi all,

Hoping you can give me some advice. I'm going to have an opportunity to shoot a concert tonight (Stars playing at Rams Head Live in Baltimore, MD), and was hoping to get some advice/recommendations on what sort of shooting settings and lenses I should be using. I'll apparently have a press pass so I may have access to shoot from a variety of locations.

For reference, here's some photos from their gallery to give you an idea of what the venue is like:

http://www.ramsheadlive.com/gallery/

based on the EXIF from some of the gallery pics, other photographers used a higher shutter speed (like 1/320s) and a wide aperture (like f/2.8) ...

For me, I have the following equipment:
Canon T2i

Canon 18-55mm IS kit lens

Canon 55-250mm IS lens

Canon 50mm/f1.8 lens

Would definitely appreciate any advice/tips you can offer.

bring all 3 if you can unless you know exactly where you can go in the venue.  see if you can get there before the show when the stage lighting is on and try taking some test shots using Tv mode with a shutter speed of 1/100s or faster (1/160s or 1/200s, etc).

if you see a test picture you like, check out the ISO (like 1600) and aperture (like f/3.5) your camera picked and use similar values in M mode.  that way you'll have consistent exposures if your subject begins to move around.

if that's too much to try to remember, just keep it in Tv mode and select spot exposure and the center focus point only (read your manual) and expose for the face ... using your zoom lenses may require that you increase your ISO to keep your shutter speed high ... good luck ...
if you can beg/borrow/steal an f/2.8 zoom, it will help even more ...

confyushis's gear list:confyushis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +3 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow