Started Mar 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
juansalva
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Olympus OM-D E-M5 really cheap grip.
Mar 7, 2013

Hello everyone! I am new to posting in forums. Like many of you, I too have been searching for an inexpensive grip to compensate the lack of it on the OM-D. Recently I came across with what I think is a really cheap, non-bulk-and-light solution, and I want to share it with the community.

I find outrageous the price that Olympus charges for the HLD-6 grip, and let's not go into the matter selling the hoods separately from their lenses while having to pay rape prices for the hoods. Oh well, that is the subject for another forum.

Disclaimer: I have no commercial or otherwise relationship with the company which makes the product that I am writing about. I purchased the product myself for around $13 including shipping. I am not recommending it, I am simply sharing my findings.

Check out the different grips made by a company called Flipbac (www.flipbac.com), among them there is one that was recently released called G3 - Flipbac Camera Grip 3 - Narrow 2nd Edition, the way to tell between versions is that the newer Narrow 2nd Edition doesn't have the model number molded onto the grip itself. Its dimensions are 38mm in height by 19mm in width and around 7mm in thickness..

I have been using the camera with the grip for few days, and handling the camera is way better.

The only time it feels a bit cramped between the lens and the fingers is in those rare occasions when I am hand holding the Panasonic 100-400 with a tripod clamp attached. Other than that, the grip is comfortable with other lenses I use.

Please keep in mind that depending on the size of the fingers, this solution may not work for all of you OM-D owners. As with anything, let me add, not everyone will like it for one reason or another. Again, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I have no doubt that the approach to a grip presented by Mr. John Milich is much better, I'll soon probably purchase one. For now while on a tight budget, this works and doesn't add a lot of weight or size to the camera.

Cheers!

Flipbac Camera Grip 3 - Narrow 2nd Edition

I placed the grip 8mm from the edge of the top of the camera's grip

VIEW FROM BOTTOM OF CAMERA

Side view

Two fingers rest easily on the grip

Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow