compact camera for pet and child photography.

Started Mar 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,137
Like?
compact camera for pet and child photography.
Mar 7, 2013

I love my G10 and my S100, but I can't use them reliably to photograph the grandkids and the pets (and other people's kids and pets), all of which move around rapidly. By the time the "shutter lag" (actually focus lag I'm told, but there are other components too) allows the pic to be taken, the moment is often lost. This isn't the case with my 50D. With that, I can capture the moment almost all the time - almost no lag between pressing the shutter button and shutter release.

The only problem with the 50D is its bulk. Walking around with it isn't a big problem, but airline travel certainly is, since I'm unwilling to check it and trust it to the baggage handlers.

I'd love to have a relatively small camera with "no shutter lag", image quality equal to the S100 (or better), and a zoom lens somewhere in the 17-85 or the 24-120 (FF equivalents) range. I don't need a "shirt pocket camera". The S100 does that for me. Even something a bit larger than the G series of cameras would be okay, if it were available with a single lens in the focal ranges I've described, and (most important) if it had a near-zero shutter lag. A fixed zoom lens (i.e. built into the camera) would be ideal, but if there were a camera which fit all the other criteria (size,  IQ, absence of shutter lag) and there were a single zoom lens with good IQ and the necessary focal range, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. Then I'd probably sell my huge accumulation of DSLR cameras and lenses after a trial period with that new fantastical camera.

But there is no such camera - is there?

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Canon EOS 50D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow