Long lens resolution (please join me in the show-me-the-money test)

Started Mar 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,645Gear list
Like?
Long lens resolution (please join me in the show-me-the-money test)
Mar 7, 2013

Resolution isn't necessarily the most important thing for a lens. Being able to produce max resolution pimages in the field is no easy task. But when focus is spot on, dof is enough to keep the subject in focus, shutter speed is fast enough to freeze the subject, SR or tripod absorbs shake, ISO is low, etc, the resulting resolution is a wonderful reward.

Yes, i know, there is flare and CA to fight too...

So as we wait for someone to review the 560 for us, i propose the "show-me-the-money" resolution test: take a picture of a paper bill using your telephoto lens at peak resolution settings (a test chart will do but few of us have them, i don't). Shoot RAW, default sharpening and clarity settings, no PF removal, etc. Post 100% crops. Try not to get busted for making fake money.

I'll start with my poor-man's super-tele in the reply: the manual focus Sigma 400mm f/5.6 APO (72mm filter diameter). Also with 2x TC. Please tell me you can beat a 300$ lens!

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow