Mirrorless Cameras: False Panacea

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kuivaamo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,248
Like?
Re: Mirrorless Cameras: False Panacea
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Mar 7, 2013

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

At this point, the only reason I see sticking with a DSLR is PDAF.

I can see other reasons as well. For example the availability of (ultra)wide-angle tilt-shift lenses. I use my DSLRs most of the time, even though I use live view a lot and I do have a mirrorless system as well. Mirrorless simply does not currently provide the same results that are achievable with a competent DSLR system, or at least achieving those results is so much easier with a DSLR that the size/weight difference is a smaller consideration for me. But then, I do work out!

For eye-level viewing, I find even the best current electronic viewfinders a really poor experience compared to even mid-range optical viewfinders. This is a personal thing of course, but a good reason to give choices, rather than only one or the other.

And finally, compared to what landscape photographers have traditionally carried with them (4x5" & 8x10" view cameras with tripods to match, plus film holders, lens boards, etc.), a DSLR is still plenty small and light enough, if high quality is the goal.

It's really nice that mirrorless systems have become available and provide very good results for a lot of purposes in a smaller package. But it would be a shame if mirrorless systems were the only thing available to photo enthusiasts.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow