What is the maximum ISO you're comfortable shooting (and what camera)?

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Questions thread
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,309Gear list
Like?
1600 to 2000 on my D7k, 3200 w custom WB
In reply to Sammy Yousef, Mar 7, 2013

Sammy Yousef wrote:

I typically shoot my D90 at base ISO (200), but was wondering what most people actually shoot at regularly with the newer bodies. I will typically set auto ISO up to 800 but no more for action photography.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

My D7k remains very clean up to ISO 1600 and then some, say around 2000 at least.

However a small thing is I have found that auto WB loses it around ISO 2500 or so in lower light - I think it's probably because more noise in the more amplified signal, screws up the Auto-WB algorithm.  And the various pre-sets don't help much.  So the cure is to use a custom WB for the occasion.  Which is fine for an event of some duration, say a cocktail or dinner - but not so fine for the occasional quick shot.  Of course I could also shoot raw, at least above ISO 2500 in lower light levels.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow