Monitors viewing comfort : CCFL backlighting versus LED backlighting ?

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
alpshiker
Regular MemberPosts: 256
Like?
Bottom line ?
In reply to noirdesir, Mar 7, 2013

noirdesir wrote:

afterburn wrote:

But this is a public forum where people voice opinions to questions. My reply was my opinion and I even indicated it was my opinion. You don't get to chose which opinion is crap and which is not because nobody has absolute truth, not even you. Each opinion, right or wrong, is equally valuable in a discussion. The whole idea of public forums is that you can get enough different opinions to form your own, not that everybody agrees with everybody.

Except that it was not clear in your post whether you were presenting your personal opinion or a large consensus opinion. If you present something without qualifiers, it is generally assumed to be something largely undisputed and not a personal opinion.

If you don't like or can't handle other people's opinions, don't go strolling on public forums. Have a good day.

What we don't like is presenting personal opinions as large consensus opinions.

Hey guys, I hate to disrupt you but maybe I can narrow my question to this:
I gather from your posts (thanks a lot btw !) that LEDS are brighter than CCFL, more uniform, have longer lasting life, more accurate colors, and there is no doubt that they are the future in TV sets and monitors (probably with OLED). What I could gather however is that they are currently implemented in monitors in such a way that those monitors can be used in bright light conditions, for that's where LEDS clearly show their superiority over the former CCFL backlighting. The problem comes when you want to use those monitors in dimm light environments such as an ordinary image lab, right ? In order not to toast ones single pair of eyes, the brightness has to be reduced to minimal values. But the fact is that LEDs can't be dimmed. They have their optimal functioning at a rated power, and to simulate dimming, one has to induce a flicker by switching feed on/off at Herzial speeds. And even if the brain can't catch the fast flicker, the eyes will and they might tell you it's not good. Am I right ?
That would explain why some users of those monitors don't notice the flicker, when others will. When the monitor is set at full brightness, LEDs are continuously switched on and they don't flicker. But when you start tweaking the monitor settings, that's when flickering appears, proportionally to the dimming that is imposed to the LEDs.

So here's the bottom line I come to :

— Use a LED monitor if you work in a bright environment, where you will keep the monitor set at high brightness.

— Otherwise, if the monitor has to be dimmed a lot, it is advisable to stay on the CCFL route, until perhaps monitor manufacturers will bring low light level LED monitors to the market, designed for those particular working conditions.

Does that make sense ?
Paul

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow