Why is Zeiss creating a 32/1.8 when there's already a sony one?

Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,895Gear list
Like?
Re: Why is Zeiss creating a 32/1.8 when there's already a sony one?
In reply to martindesu, Mar 7, 2013

martindesu wrote:

13 lenses covering 28mm to 35mm

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Why do you have so much lens duplication?

Not duplication, unless you consider the Contax G 35/2 and the Zeiss ZM 35/2 close cousins.

They are all different lenses. They come from four different (use) periods -

• First: legacy SLR (OM and MD) which I already had in my possession
  • Then: RF for compactness, and speed (before the LA-EA2, Nex-7 and fast E mount lenses existed) [They are not best for Nex-7].
  • Next: A-mount for AF (since they were so cheap) after the LA-EA2 introducton
  • and Now: E mount lenses (both prime and zooms) when they finally came out
I am (was) eyeing the long rumored FF Nex, hence I am  holding on to the legacy and RF FF lenses. 
Otherwise, you are looking at
  1. MD 28/2.8
  2. OM 28/2.0
  3. CG 28/2.8
  4. E 30mm/3.5 Macro
  5. Sigma 30/2.8
  6. OM 35/2.8
  7. CG 35/2.0
  8. ZM 35/2.0
  9. CV 35/1.7
  10. E 35/1.8 OSS
  11. A 35/1.8
  12. E 1650 Kit Zoom
  13. E 1855 Kit Zoom 
I have/had some others, like the Fujian 35/1.7, Elmarit 28/2.8, etc., that are not in the picture, but you see really only 2 E primes, 1 A prime, 3 Legacy primes and 4 RF primes. Again, the only lens that would be a 'duplicate' would be the CG35 and ZM35.
Do I use them all? Not at all, lately I have been mostly grabbing the E35 and E1650. 
But if the weather picks up and work lets off a bit, I will grab some MF lenses to take some 'real' pictures  rather than the snapshots as of late. 
But to the earlier asked question - yes, these lenses all render differently, and it is fun comparing and understanding what they do and why. 
In terms of IQ, the Contax, Zeiss, and Sigma (yes) rank highest. In terms of character, the Cosina Voigtlander Nokton is a favorite, I also like the E and A 35mmIn terms of versatility, the E 1650 does well for me (I have a jacket that holds it neatly, ie. no bag).
There is no 'perfect' lens. Most days, I prefer AF and just 'snapping' away. This means E or A mount lenses. Other days, I like to use MF and get a higher IQ image.
-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow