More D7000 back focus. I thought this issue was dead!?

Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,380
Like?
Would add
In reply to Kerry Pierce, Mar 7, 2013

Kerry Pierce wrote:

robjons wrote:

The DotTune video was interesting, thanks for the link.

But I'm still unclear about fine tuning a zoom. Do you fine tune for just one FL and if so, which FL?

I'm probably the wrong person to answer this, since I've yet to even attempt to FT a zoom. From what I've read, most folks that are using FT on zooms, do it on the focal length that they most use. But, that depends greatly on which zoom and what you're trying to do, I think. I know of one person that has a book of settings for each lens, at different focal lengths, under different lighting conditions. So, he's at one extreme while I'm at the other. But, most of the zooms that I use, are already as accurate as I need, so maybe that's not a fair comparison.

Nikon doesn't have a good FT system for zooms. Canon allows for 2 distinct settings, per lens, on some of their cameras, which is much better for a zoom. It's probably a safe assumption that Nikon will follow their lead in future cameras.

Kerry

Agreed with what Kerry said.  I would add that with a Nikon single setting fine tune you have to make choices and look at your particular scenario. I look at a zoom wide end and far end then 3 points in the middle.  For my 70-200 that would be 70, 100, 135, 165 and 200 (approximations).  That will give me 5 settings.  Now I try to balance that and keep most of the lens close to center. So if I get -5, 0, -10, -6, +5.....the center of that range is between -10 and +5 so I set -3.  I then do a Live view PDAF comparison at the worst spot 135 and 200 and see if -3 is acceptable and perhaps shift a little if I need to. That's an extreme case and you shouldn't see taht big a range except with the cheaper consumer super zooms.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
12New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow