Blown away by the 28mm f1.8G but does it replace the 50?

Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Teak
Regular MemberPosts: 167Gear list
Like?
Re: Blown away by the 28mm f1.8G but does it replace the 50?
In reply to NorthernerBlackpool, Mar 7, 2013

Before you shoot the wedding, spend some more time with the lens learning its idiosyncrasies. I shot my nieces wedding using 28 1.8g on D600 back in October. I too was drawn by its ability to capture the "story". All the pictures I took at f2.8 came out back focused! I suspect lighting had a role; mostly tungsten. Pictures taken at f4 were sharp however, the bokeh if any at f4 is nothing compared to f2.8. Majorly disappointed!! Since then I have trying to fine tune this lens on my D600 body using Lens Align / Focus Tune which confirm back focus on f2.8 changing to front focus starting F4. I am seriously thinking of sending it back to Nikon Canada to investigate.

Learn from my experience, do a lot more testing under different lighting conditions at different apertures. What bums me even more is that I went thru 3 copies of this lens before putting the money down as I was well aware of the field curvature issues with this lens.

Ironically my favorite prime on D600 is the 35 1.8g. Gives crazy sharp pictures in Fx and the slight vignetting up to f5.6 adds to the charm.

HTH

Teak's gear list:Teak's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow