More D7000 back focus. I thought this issue was dead!?

Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,252Gear list
Like?
I wonder
In reply to Mako2011, Mar 7, 2013

As soon as I determined the extent and breadth of the camera's issues, the d7k went to Nikon service. Parts were replaced and the AF and defocus control were adjusted. That means, no matter what you think of my methods, that there was a significant problem with the camera, ie the AF system was defective and miscalibrated from the factory. That is the salient issue.

Whether or not any given lens needs AF fine tune, is a distinctly separate issue from the issue of defective AF, regardless as to the severity and type of defect.

The d7k isn't the first camera with AF fine tune, so we'll have to agree to disagree that the user should have seen that as a sign that rigorous testing would be required.

I don't understand your point about Nikon and 3rd party lenses. 3rd party lenses are a fact of life, whether or not Nikon likes them.  I said nothing about Nikon supporting them. I simply stated that they changed something with the d7k that rendered some of my 3rd party lenses unusable, which is certainly a point that any 3rd party lens user should know and consider, when doing any AF testing.

The bottom line is that I agree with you, that all new Nikons should be tested, rather rigorously and correctly, as soon as is reasonable and practical for the owners. My experience with my d7k suggests that cursory testing, as I'd been doing for years, is no longer an adequate measure. There are good resources here that new owners should utilize to their long term benefit.

thanks

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
12New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow