Best/superior DSLR for evidentiary JPEGs?

Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571Gear list
Like?
Best/superior DSLR for evidentiary JPEGs?
Mar 6, 2013

I wear a badge, and am a first responder, with the added responsibilty of evidentiary photography. My typical "client" is a victim of violence, usually domestic violence, who is still alive. (CSU/CSI types photograph the deceased.) Images of human skin take priority, though I also shoot images of scenes, which can be indoors or outdoors. I upload my images as Large JPEGs into a proprietary computer program. I am asking, please, for advice, comments, and thoughts on the best pro DSLR cameras for this job, or non-DSLR, for that matter.

I see, by reading forums and reviews, some very good cameras are best shot in RAW, but that is not an option for evidentiary images. I must be able to submit the most excellent unedited JPEGs possible. Large-sized images are not a goal.

I currently use a pair of Canon 7D bodies, with a 100mm 2.8L Macro virtually welded to one body, and a 10-22mm EF-S is  usually mounted on the second 7D. I sometimes, also, bring a 5D or 1D Mark II N along for the ride. Cropped-frame cameras are the norm for this type of photography, though at least one wealthy agency is known to issue the 5D Mark II. I use my own photo equipment, unless I want to sign-out a tiny Sony P&S.

Of course, my current equipment suffices, but my financial situation is improving to the point I can contemplate a top-tier camera. New or pre-owned is OK, as excellent out-of-camera JPEGs is the primary goal, and if a discontinued camera is better, so be it. Brand is irrelevant; I am more invested in Canon L lenses, at present, but also own Nikkors. (My F6 has taught me to appreciate top-level Nikons!) The addition of a decent Nikon-fit macro lens would be the only added lens expense if I chose a Nikon body.

Acquiring more equipment is not the goal. If I already have the right stuff, so be it. I love the way a 5D renders skin tones in JPEGs, when I can control the light. ( A weakness of the 5D, compared to a 7D, is getting white balance correct when I have to shoot in a hurry under mixed types of artificial ambient lighting. )

Thanks!

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Nikon D700 +24 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark II N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow