Upgrading my D40
Mar 6, 2013

My current setup:

Fujifilm X100

D40 body 
NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G 
Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G 
Nikon 18mm - 55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

I've had the D40 for 4 years and enjoyed using it. I particularly love the 35mm prime and use the 18-55 VR a lot. The 55-200mm only gets used 10% of the time at most.

I am looking to upgrade the body and perhaps add a lens.

I use my X100 really a lot, the manual controls are great, jpegs look awesome. Drawbacks are its finicky and needs to be babied to get the results you want, it is not the best for shots that have no prior time for setup. Its also very hard to have others use the camera to take pictures of myself, easily confusing to a new user. I've had some incredible shots that beat the pants off the D40, but also many many more out of focus and blurry shots.

I never shoot RAW as I don't enjoy or have the time for post-processing.

I like the versatility of a DSLR as an all around workhorse, and love the X100 for what is is as well. With the DSLR you can get very good results with minimal setup, within a second from picking up the camera or handing it over to someone else, I find that is not the case with the X100.

I am looking for a few things in a new Nikon (or any other DSLR) body:

1. Better/bigger sensor 
2. More pixels

3. Keep the weight/size small, my current D40 is great, would not want to go much bigger

4. Better controls if possible. I sometimes find myself tinkering with too many things to change the aperture, shutter speed, exposure compensation etc. in manual mode and also when trying to use the timer.

I'm open to buying used/refurbished and don't have to get the latest and greatest although I know the 5200 just came out.

I have looked into the new breed of mirror-less cameras with interchangeable lenses like the Sony NEX series and really like the fact that I can get great IQ in such a small size, but I don't like the idea of not having all the controls at my fingertips.

(I posted something similar a year ago, but never ended up buying the D5100 and bought the X100 instead. I know there have been more cameras since then, so I am trying to weigh pros and cons, just looking for some independent opinions)

Please recommend a body and lens(es).

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D40 Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow