ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gdepatoul
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
What is the best next step from a D300S
Mar 6, 2013

Hi

I have been extensively using my current D300S for the last 3 years, happy in most circumstances, but really frustrated in terms of low light performance.

I have a good problem to have, which is I have had a good year, so I can afford the big next step.

I am just willing to spend the $ well, as I won't do it twice. I am reading a lot of diverging opinions about the D800 (too many pixels, low fps versus great ability to crop and therefore less need of super large lenses), not sure if the D600 is just a "half way compromise" compared to going to the D800 or the D4. Is the D4 really worth spending 2 or 3 times more than D800/D600 in terms of image quality and speed (offsetting significant additional weight and no built in flash which makes it less of a walk around camera, on top of price), ie are the D800/D600 already performing so good that only a true professional (which I am not) would really value the difference.

I mostly shoot landscape, wildlife, everyday life. It has been a real hobby for me for the past 20y, always my camera with me, but at the same time, I am not technically sophisticated.

As far as lenses, i was planning to acquire the following

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II + converter (which one? any advice welcome!)

I'd really appreciatee your reactions and advice!!

Thank you for all the very valuable exchanges on this forum, it is priceless!

G

Gdepatoul's gear list:Gdepatoul's gear list
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Nikon D300S Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow