Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GreenMountainGirl
Contributing MemberPosts: 667Gear list
Like?
Tripod Head Recommendations Needed
Mar 6, 2013

I purchased my first tripod and head after purchasing my first DSLR (Nikon D7000). The tripod (Benro A1980F) seems sturdy/stable enough, no complaints. But the head (Manfrotto pistol grip - PG), while easy to adjust in general, is difficult to adjust precisely. When I release the grip, and look again through the viewfinder, the focus point is not exactly where I tried to put it. This matters when trying to photograph a bird in a tree, because it can end up focusing on a branch behind where the bird will sit leaving the bird out of focus. There are other examples, but this is the best one to describe what is happening.

Hand-holding the camera is often not an option, because I tend to get a lot of blurry images that way. So, suggestions for a different type of head would be much appreciated.

My wishes are: First, It should be quick and easy to adjust for capturing wildlife. The PG is OK for this, but not as good as I would like. Second, it should support a reasonable amount of weight. The Benro is rated for around 11 pounds. Third, it cannot be overly expensive (maybe an upper limit of around $200). Unlimited funds are just not available, and I have other things (like lenses) to buy!

Thanks!

Susan

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

GreenMountainGirl's gear list:GreenMountainGirl's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +2 more
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow