Like?
Re: Thanks, That is interesting, also White Balance are a bit different
In reply to ZAnton, Mar 6, 2013

ZAnton wrote:

brightcolours wrote:

ZAnton wrote:

Timbukto wrote:

ZAnton wrote:

Would you clean a sensor for me twice if I pay you 500 Euro?

Yes...

Thats it, why can't you clean it for yourself?

...but I would not warranty my work or give guarantees of a spotless sensor upon your testing of further actuations however. Nor would I guarantee to completely fix any of your problems. And it might take me awhile to ship it back to you because I am busy.

Boy if I actually warrantied my work I would get a raw deal. You could easily claim I did not do an acceptable job coming back with photographic evidence of more spots after a few shutters. Than I am royally screwed because I might than also need to buy very expensive parts and engage in many hours of training or be out of my skill set to replace your shutter and at that point I can already see you getting angry and asking for your money back.

Sorry but I could have easily seen myself shooting Nikon already if it was not for a pretty costly and big issue with the D600. There is a f11 airshow picture with tons of spots on it sitting on the FX forum right now. Sadly it is not only the whiners that confirm an issue but the act that I see issues in every narrow aperture shot from owners just posting their work. It is both the spots and the act that Nikon cares more about sharper corners on primes than reducing axial CA and the fact that Canon might be a little more advanced with AF lately. I like MFA interpolation on zooms for example. Not sure if CA also increases focus shifts either.

Also make sure you are not comparing purely MSRPs with purchase price but putting into account actual street pricing along with resale value. Over here lowest street price of authorized warrantied new 6D kit is currently LOWER than preowned list prices on my local craigslist.

The thing is, you take the worst of D600, and I take mine or average.

Nikon has acknowledged there is a problem with the D600, not like other DSLR's.

I do have some spots, seen at f/16 on the very side of the sensor and they can be moved with a blower, => it is dust, not oil. Since I shoot under f/8, and mainly f/2.8, I could not care less about it.

If you have "spots", they can be seen at f8 too, or even f4. Just bigger and less dark. So it depends on how busy the background is how easy they show up.

well, you know when spots on my camera become apparent.

I know spots on sensors. Are you trying to say spots on D600 sensors are different than with other cameras?

Those horror shots are really single cases and probably has occured on the very first cameras, moreover lately D600 as well as D800 are reported to have no issues.

They are not THAT single at all. It is a widespread problem.

YOU know that it is a widespread problem. You are working in a Nikon service center and you have statistics.

I know it is a widespread problem by the amount of moaning on forums about it, and by Nikon acknowledging the problem as being real.

The thing is, when I had 5D2, I never used it at f/16, so I have no idea if it has "dust issue".

Every camera can get dust on its sensor, from outside. Depending on how static the sensor gets, and on how effective the sensor cleaning of the camera is, over time one will get some dust spots.

The issue with the D600 is that it creates its own dust/oil spots in a heavy handed way, the 5D mk II that you mention you had did not have this problem.

Thanks Mr. Clever, I didn't know about it. Now I do.

My pleasure.

On my old 350D when I shot at f/16 or so, the was hundred times more dust then on D600.

Your old 350D did not create its own dust/oil specs, the dust that gathered was from outside. The reason you remember it to be worse is because that camera was from the time that no sensor cleaning with implemented, and over time it collected more and more dust. You probably started to notice after a long time of use, you have the D600 only a very short time. f16 on APS-C is a bit odd anyway (equivalent to f25 on FF...).

I see you know everything about me. Do you know my shutter count?

No, I do not know your shutter count. Do you have a shutter count?

About AF. There are 2 sides of the medal - engineer and user or "reasonable".

From engineering side it is really cool to focus at -3EV, from the user side I shoot at home at iso3200, f/2.8, 1/30s. D600 sharp-focusses easily at those conditions, so I am happy. If it gets darker I get flash anyway (with its af-assist light), so I don't care what camera can get focus inside the ass of a man during the dark night.

Lame (your last remark). And AF-assist is annoying (when shooting people), not allowed in museums where photography is allowed, and distance limited (and many lenses/hoods shield that Nikon AF assist lamp, due to its placement). I rather have a camera with low light AF ability.

What is more important - getting outer focus points. And here D600 is better.

Better? Better in what way? Not more spread, no cross points.... Tests show the 6D to be a bit better.

9 cross points, good working non-cross points and good 3D tracking.

9 cross points all in the center (so not better than the center cross point of the 6D, 6D has very good working non-cross points (I have read several accounts of side by side shooting/testing), and the 6D has very good AF tracking too. It actually has faster and more accurate AF.

Now what was it you said about outer focus points of the D600?

Of course there is 5D3 with stellar AF, but I am not going to pay 1500 Euro extra on that. (and D600 has notably better sensor).

The D600 high ISO samples do not show it to have a "notably better" sensor. They are kinda on par.

D600 sensor is way better than 5D3's

I must have missed something, they look pretty much on par to me. Or are you a 4 stop shadow puller?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow