eye fi vs transcend wifi for android

Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
m.holmes
Regular MemberPosts: 247
Like?
Re: eye fi vs transcend wifi for android
In reply to thetrystero, Mar 6, 2013

thetrystero wrote:

Which one offers the best features for android and what advantages does eye fi have vs transcend? Eye fi costs substantially more so is it worth the extra? I could either go with a 4gb eye fi or a 16gb transcend for my budget. I'm using the Panasonic gx1 and want to have both raw and fine automatically synced to my android galaxy nexus in real time via WiFi so that they can be uploaded to Google+. I know I can probably wait until I get home bit real time is the key here, otgheerwise it wouldnt make sense for me to spend extra on WiFi. Any thoughts?

I won't speak about android but I think I own all the different wifi-SD cards. My favorite is the transcend, my INfavorite is the eye-fi (pro-x2); the transcend is larger, class 10, it has an http server built-in and acts (optionally) as a wi-fi hotspot, so any device can connect flawlessly and browse/download photos. I think (not totally sure) that the ios app has an auto-sync feature.

On the opposite, the eye-fi acts only as a wireless client, and you need to store in advance the credentials of the network you will be connecting to; you would suspect this is easy, but... an internet connection is needed to change any setting on the card (because basically the card configuration is generated by a remote server and downloaded). Additionally, you need to install a custom software on your computer, and the card will upload all the pictures automatically (you used to shoot 12fps RAW? think again... )

I have to admit that the eye-fi has some support from camera firmware (for example, my camera has a special menu for it), while the transcend has to rely on simpler but effective tricks (the way you reset the configuration is awesome... the software engineer who invented it is a genius). overall I have no doubt about which card is better.

p.s.: don't expect the wi-fi speed to be anywhere acceptable... these cards are painfully slow

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow