Rare monster zoom for my 5N :D

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
neonexxer
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
Re: Rare monster zoom for my 5N :D
In reply to cptrios, Mar 6, 2013

cptrios wrote:

Heh I've always been very intrigued by this lens but never had the nerve to actually buy one. Please let us know how the IQ turns out!

This is for you cptrios

And this is also for anyone who might be curious what you might gain (or avoid ...haha) with this lens.  Just uploaded a small number of full-size images to my gallery here: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4116954684/albums/tamron-28-105-f2-8

At its 28mm wide end, its tested at F2.8, F4 and F8 against the SAL1650.

At 105mm full tele, it goes against the Canon FDn 35-105/3.5 wide open, F5.6 and F8.

As a bonus, you can see how the SEL55210 fares at 105mm  in this shootout at F5.6 and F8.

The images have been named to reflect the lens, FL and aperture, so you can tell which is which.

In a nutshell, the Tamron (my copy, at least) is only barely sharp enough by modern standards. My RX100 at 100mm/F8 grinds the Tamron into pulp.  Low contrast.  Big.  Heavy.  Expensive 82mm filter size.  Iffy AF.  Plasticky (not in a fragile way though). Heavy glass makes my EA2 work hard and saps battery very quickly.  Stiff zoom (but doesn't creep).  Looks ridiculously huge with hood and mounted on tiny 5N.

Whats good about it?  Range.  F2.8.  Cheap.  Robust.  Useful macro mode (MFD is about 1.3ft, but MF only).  Perfectly acceptable for video and some portraiture.  If still images are scaled to 1080p or even 2K (ie. "2160p"), with minor PP, I'd say results are quite passable.

I still kinda like this lens.  Certainly not for everyone's taste, needs or sensibilities, so file under "Curio"

neonexxer's gear list:neonexxer's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A37 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow