Started Mar 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,815Gear list
Like?
MX-1 vs Q (regarding timelapses)
In reply to Tjalpics, Mar 6, 2013

Tjalpics wrote:

The MX-1 user manual (or 'camera manual' as Pentax calls it) states:

"Time-Lapse Movie - Captures frames for fast motion playback" and "In Time-Lapse Movie mode the number of recorded pixels is fixed to 640x480" so obviously not a movie recording, but seperate frames. Nowhere in the manual a time-lapse mode for photos/stills is mentioned.

After you took the time to read the manuals, i thought i'd check too, so I stand corrected in assuming the MX-1 does as the Q:

MX-1:

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/mx-1.pdf

Q:

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/q.pdf

The MX-1 only has time-lapse video producing 640x480 movies (presumably from still frames which are discarded).

The Q can produce 1920x1080 full HD timelapse movies. The duration of the recording, depending on the interval chosen, can be set up to 99 hours (with external power, because the battery definitely won't last that long!). The output is an AVI file.

Additionally, the Q can take intervalled pictures (which can be used in post-processing to produce time-lapses with higher definition, panning etc).

In either mode, the Q has trouble keeping up with shooting at 1 picture per second, even with a Sandisk Extreme card (borrowed from the K5). It will keep up at 1 pic every 3 seconds in raw and video mode. one every 2 seconds shooting jpgs in picture mode. A fix would be cool, or maybe the Q10 is fast enough?

On the bright side, the MX-1 has a slow-motion mode, and a pano-stitching mode, and some other fun stuff which is described in the manual.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow