Monitors viewing comfort : CCFL backlighting versus LED backlighting ?

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,136Gear list
Like?
Re: No offense...
In reply to afterburn, Mar 6, 2013

The scientific fact is that CCFLs do age much more quickly than LED backlights.  I have a very high end 24" Sony Monitor from a few years back that cost almost $1000 and was the best monitor available.  If you looked carefully, even when it was new, the lighting was slightly uneven across the full screen (you need to look at a neutral grey screen in order to evaluate it).  5 years later, it has a distinctly "brighter" area at the left edge of the screen which diminishes as you move to the right.  The LED backlit screen on my MBP has no such problem.  The biggest problem with LED screens is that people run them WAY too bright.  CCFLs are somewhat limited in brightness, so they run at about 50% of the brightness of LED when they are maxed out.  So many folks have issues with dark prints, and burnt out eyeballs because they run their LED monitors at max.  Simple fix.  Just lower the intensity to about that of a CCFL monitor.  About 50-60% or about 90-120 cd/m2.  You also will have to calibrate a CCFL monitor more often than an LED because the backlight does have more variation over time than an LED backlight.  So you pays your money and you takes your choice.  Either one can be a winner if used properly.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-} www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow