Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,243Gear list
Like?
Class 10 SD card not enough: some benchmark results
Mar 6, 2013

I benchmarked some of my SD cards last night, and knowing that with my fastest cart the Samsung NX20 can write about 20 MB/s, I wanted to see which of my memory cards were fast enough.

Write speeds of various cards (continuous, not burst) using USB3 card reader/writer.

• Samsung 32 GB Class 10: 11 MB/s
  • Samsung 32 GB Pro 40 MB/s (UHS-I): 31 MB/s
  • Sandisk 16 GB 30 MB/s: 18 MB/s
  • Sandisk 16 GB 95 MB/s (UHS-I): 60 MB/s (I don't have exact figure for this card on me, but over 60)
So as you can see, the class 10 card is only writing about half the speed that the NX20 is capable. This is not fast enough, and I really notice how slow it is when using the NX20. Class 10 means it will always be able to write at least 10 MB/s. Some Class 10 cards can do better than that.  These faster cards are still labeled Class 10, but will advertise higher speeds, like the Samsung Pro UHS-I Class 10 advertises 40 MB/s write 80 MB/s read.
My advice? If buying new cards, buy something with faster write speed than class 10. Realize you won't reach the advertised write rate (that is a small file burst), and buying a 95 MB/s card won't get you any more than a 40 MB/s card in the NX20, but buying something at least as fast as Sandisk 30 MB/s cards is a good idea if you are shooting RAW and want to make the most of your NX20.
Eric
-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Samsung NX20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow