The US won't have mirrorless? (Sans Mirror)

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Eamon Hickey
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,149
Like?
his source: CIPA (link included)
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, Mar 6, 2013

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

Where does he find these statistics?

Unless I'm missing something, he doesn't name his source(s).

He didn't name it, but his source is CIPA (Camera & Imaging Products Association). This is the Japanese camera industry trade association. They publish some high-level monthly statistics on Japanese camera manufacturing and shipments. You can find them here:

http://www.cipa.jp/english/data/index.html

It takes a bit of study to figure out what you're reading in their stats, which are intended for people in the industry. But CIPA publishes unit shipments in total and by region, for DSLRs, CSCs, and compacts, and also the value of shipments in those same breakdowns. They show them in a slightly complex table that includes year-over-year comparisons.

These figures come from Japanese camera manufacturers, so they represent factory shipments, not retail sales. They do not include non-Japanese manufacturers, but the only significant business that omits is Samsung's compact (i.e. point-and-shoot camera) business.

Although I think Thom is reading too much into year-over-year figures for one month (January over January for 2012 and 2013), his interpolations about average selling price and his understanding of how CIPA categorizes cameras is sound. So, several of your questions below are easily answered.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow