ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Celestrian
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Considering the K-30
Mar 6, 2013

Hi.

I'm quite new to DSLR and consider buying a K-30 for my first "real" camera. But I am a bit undecided as to exactly what kit I should go for.

I want a WR lens kit, because the WR is perhaps the main reason why I would choose K-30 instead of another entry-level SLR-camera (there are cheaper alternatives out there).

I will be taking most pictures outside (moving animals, landscape, various light etc) and I know that from what I've tried of photography so far, I would like some zoom. I've missed some very good shots because I haven't been able to get close enough with a 18-55.

(The prices listed below are Norwegian prices, just in case they make no sense to you - and saying my budget is about $1400 in these prices)

The kits in question are:

K-30 w/18-55 WR
If I go for this kit I would like to buy a telezoom lens in addition. Maybe a 50(ish)-300 is preferable. I see that Tamron has a really cheap one (Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro), but I guess that's crap? Alternately I could go for Pentax SMCP-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED instead. With the latter lens it will be around $1400, the former lens around $1050 and with only the kit lens $880. If I go with this kit, are there other zoom lenses I should check out?

K-30 w/18-55WR + 50-200WR
This is the cheapest kit alternative which of course makes it very attractive for a beginner like me (about $1150) . After playing around with these lenses for a while I should have some money left over to get another lens, and maybe more importantly, know what else I need (if I need a better zoom or a prime or whatever).

K-30 w/18-135WR
One unknown, online-store is selling this kit for $1220, the rest of the stores for about $1400. This seems like quite a versatile option and I should be able to have some fun with this before deciding what else I need. Adding another lens costing more than about $200 would kind of kill my budget a bit for now, but I could of course get one later when I know my needs better, and have saved up a bit.

I know I could also go for some other kit options like the t4i, D5100 w/a couple of ok lenses or even the D7000 with a decent lens, but the WR isn't that present there (maybe with the exception of the D7000 house).

Suggestions to which kit, or alternative lenses (or even other cameras) would be most welcome.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Nikon D5100 Nikon D7000 Pentax K-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow