The US won't have mirrorless? (Sans Mirror)

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Revenant
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
Re: what is his source?
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, Mar 6, 2013

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

Where does he find these statistics?

Unless I'm missing something, he doesn't name his source(s).

Thom often quotes the official figures reported by CIPA each month, and I guess that's his source this time too, although, as you point out, he neglects to name his source(s). Note that CIPA only receive information about the number of units shipped from the Japanese manufacturers, so companies like Samsung and Leica aren't included. I don't know Thom's source for the revenue figures, but I'm sure someone reports those too.

http://www.cipa.jp/english/data/dizital.html

* Is a superzoom cam counted under 'compacts'? Are all cams with non-removable lenses 'compacts' or something other?

"Compacts" is marketing speak for non-interchangeable lens cameras, so yes, that includes superzoom/bridge cams, as well as large-sensor cameras like the Fuji X100. The DSLR category probably includes the Sony SLTs, as they are marketed as a kind of DSLR. "Mirrorless" includes all other interchangeable lens cameras. Thom basically uses the same categories as CIPA, only they label the categories "camera with built-in lens" and "camera with interchangeable lens", the latter with the sub-categories "single lens reflex" and "non-single lens reflex".

* Are accessories counted? If so, how are they counted and segmented between compact, DSLR and mirrorless, especially on those accessories that can be shared between camera segments?

No, only cameras. CIPA have separate statistics for lenses, but not for other accessories.

http://www.cipa.jp/english/data/silver.html

* He seems to have some regional data on the US and Japan, but not much else regarding regions. Unit sales up in Japan compared to January last year, but down 20% in the USA during the same period. Lots of factors could be contributing to this of course, but what about the rest of the world?

CIPA breaks down their numbers into five different regions: Japan, Americas, Europe, Asia and Other areas.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow