The US won't have mirrorless? (Sans Mirror)

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,821
Like?
Re: what is his source?
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, Mar 6, 2013

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

Where does he find these statistics?

Unless I'm missing something, he doesn't name his source(s).

To me these stats raise more questions than answers.

* Is a superzoom cam counted under 'compacts'? Are all cams with non-removable lenses 'compacts' or something other?

* Revenue really isn't profit and only makes some sense when taken with the changes in unit sales. In all fairness, he doesn't suggest that revenue is profit but it's good to be reminded of it.

* He does some talk about average selling prices but gives no graph on it. A bit confusing when average selling prices are spoken about right under the revenue graph. In truth, the two are only loosely related.

* Are accessories counted? If so, how are they counted and segmented between compact, DSLR and mirrorless, especially on those accessories that can be shared between camera segments?

* He seems to have some regional data on the US and Japan, but not much else regarding regions. Unit sales up in Japan compared to January last year, but down 20% in the USA during the same period. Lots of factors could be contributing to this of course, but what about the rest of the world?

* He makes some bold assumptions regarding what brought average selling prices up in the DSLR segment but we don't know how these stats were compiled to begin with.

This could all be true. Or half-true. Or simply wrong.

Based on how the data was collected and/or interpreted.

Why don't you ask him the questions instead of playing the wiseass? Thom BTW has a good predictive background.

This is not a school of accountants, but hopefully of photogs. Therefore I find more interesting to discuss an obvious preference by people who actually 'shoot' - some misnomer that might have originated at the other side of the pond.

My theory, is that apart Brats & Pets mirrorless helps with Freestyle. whereas people who can't leave the sSLR paradigm suffer from some type of 'behavioural cage': they go shooting their victims, like they would do with their Winchesters in the rear window.

Incidentally Thom is not a mullah, bent on the destruction of America He is just quantifying the obvious.

Am

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow