How many shoot primarily in Aperture Priority Mode?

Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jonathan Brady
Senior MemberPosts: 2,212Gear list
Like?
How many shoot primarily in Aperture Priority Mode?
Mar 6, 2013

I find that more often than not (probably 85% of the time), Aperture Priority Mode gets me exactly the results I'm looking for.  I set the ISO to auto but set the max to 400, 800, or 1600 depending on what/when/where I'm shooting and just let the camera pick the shutter speed.

I rarely shoot fast moving subjects (often I wait for them to stop moving - pet reptiles) and the IS and/or short focal lengths combined with my steady hands ensures that the vast majority of my shots don't suffer from camera shake.  Now that my wife and I have a baby, I am sure that I'll find that I need to venture more to Shutter Priority Mode - but for now, APM works just fine.

I suppose what I'm looking for is the rationale behind using Manual.  In APM, the camera picks a shutter speed and ISO combination that will expose my pictures very well - and in the cases it's a little off, PP'ing gets it where I want it or I can use exposure compensation to dial it in.  I shoot a LOT outside and it just seems to me that Manual is more trouble than it's worth with constantly changing cloud cover (not to mention the havoc changing cloud cover wreaks if I were trying to white balance my images as opposed to going with auto WB).  I would miss a LOT of shots if I were constantly changing SS, F#, and ISO with the changing light (and WB if I were so inclined).

I realize it can be very fast (I can dial in exposure compensation really fast when needed) but like I said, it just seems like more work than is needed.

So, am I missing the boat or are others similar?

Thanks!

Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +16 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
95%New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow