Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
BobYIL
Contributing MemberPosts: 888
Like?
Re: Fuji X-E1 vs Nex-6
In reply to Charlski, Mar 6, 2013

Charlski wrote:

Fuji X-E1 vs Nex-6 (Image quality)

I have downloaded the raw files from DPreview. The ones with ISO 200. I don't understand why people say the Fujifilm X-E1 has the better Image Quality. From what I observed, the NEX-6 files are much sharper (I am using Lightroom 4.4). I am in the process of deciding between buying a NEX-6 or a Fuji X-E1. I have to admit that the fact that the 35mm is a little faster is appealing. But the NEX-6 seems to have better IQ and is much cheaper (like $250 less). I have to admit that the high ISO files are better on the Fuji side tho.

Can anyone point out to me why people tell me why the Fujifilm would have the better IQ ?

Thanks guys !

I have the Nex-5N which has the same resolution and sharpness as the Nex-6. While preordering the X100S I have run a test by downloading the Nex-6 and E-X1 RAW files from dpreview and developed both in my reference converter Phase One C1, both at default settings. The outcome: Microcontrast with the X-trans file was a tad higher, many can take it as higher sharpness; resolution was more or less the same however with the finitely repeated patterns I was not able to get rid of moire (X-E1) whereas no articulation was observable on the Nex-6 file.  You want to test it? Then pay attention on the red-sieve toward the upper right of the queen's head and the picture of the Greek sculpture (?) head.

Would these create any issues for me? Not at all... such discrepancies are observable rather in very large enlargements (say 100%). I am going to use the X100S on the street and I know that the picture quality is next to FF, hi-ISO on par with FF and the OOC quality IMHO is matchless. BTW, if you love film colors than Fujifilm is the nearest thing in the affordable digital kingdom.

(From someone who use a D800E too...)

-- hide signature --

BobYIL

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow