The US won't have mirrorless? (Sans Mirror)

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,134Gear list
Like?
Re: The US won't have mirrorless? (Sans Mirror)
In reply to Lights, Mar 6, 2013

Lights wrote:

I think a lot of Americans (US) look at cameras as "status symbols" rather than as photographic tools. I see them all the time at crowded events, with DSLRs (mostly Canikons) with long zoom lenses (are they taking pictures of nose hairs or what?). Seriously, and I'm not exaggerating. Of course I do see some people with DSLRs taking photos...but for every one I see, there are probably 3 or 4 with the Canikons and the zooms. I don't know if I've seen a M4/3 camera at these events, maybe one or two. It's "chic" to carry around a big camera, it makes one noticed. It makes them look like photographers.

I don't think so many want cameras, they want fashion accessories that can be seen.

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
Why so serious? :The Joker

I agree. However, this phenomenon isn't unique to the US. People everywhere want status symbols/ fashion statements. Given the much stronger sales of red and white ILC cameras in Japan, it is hard to argue that the average Japanese camera owner is more serious about photography than his/her American counterpart (the best selling mirrorless camera in Japan for Feb 2013 was the red E-PL3).

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow