Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,592Gear list
Like?
Re: Structural Load Bearing Parts
In reply to WilbaW, Mar 6, 2013

WilbaW wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

the fact remains that the 7D has a plastic chassis

For that to be accepted you'd have to prove that there are no metal components amongst the "structural load bearing parts" of the 7D. I can see two large metal load bearing part in the image you posted back on page 2, so how do we make sense of that?

IOW, either the lens mount and the tripod socket are plastic, or they are not "structural load bearing parts". Which is it?

Hi Wilbaw,

I guess Bobn2 is in bed now.  In England it is night time.

Anyway, I found another couple of pics that shed some light on this.  This is a post by mailman88 who just crashed his 50D with an attached 100-400 on it.  The lens mount broke off the camera, and in one pic you can see the camera minus the lens mount and where the screw holes are.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50921761

On his other pic you can see the lens with the broken off lens mount from the camera still attached to it, and a piece of the camera came off with the mount!  That piece certainly looks like it is made of carbon fiber filled Polycarbonate, or some similar type of resin/plastic material.

There is no evidence of metal load bearing parts to the lens mount.  I do not know about the 7D.  But for the 50D, I think Bobn2 is correct.   If the 7D is siimlar construction, then it is a tough plastic, as it looks to be in the picture.

On mailman88's post you can also see the magnesium alloy shell which ends prior to the lens mount screws.  It appears not to be part of the lens mount strength at all.  It looks like a shell.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow