Canon Lenses vs. Nikon Lenses for Editorial Style Fashion, People and Party Photography (in Low Ligh

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DPReview007
Regular MemberPosts: 130Gear list
Like?
Canon Lenses vs. Nikon Lenses for Editorial Style Fashion, People and Party Photography (in Low Ligh
Mar 5, 2013

Canon Lenses vs. Nikon Lenses for Editorial Style Fashion, People and Party Photography (in Low Light)

I know this topic must have been discussed here 2,500 time over. I need to make a decision between a Canon 6D (also considering 5D Mk III) system and a Nikon D600 system. After extensive research, I have concluded that the two bodies are roughly equal in IQ of real images (the D600 is significantly better speced, of course, and the Nikon sensors have better DR.) So the decision should boil down to the quality of pro lenses.

I would like to purchase the following:

• A 24-70 f2.8 – here I read the Canon 24-70 MkII is better than the current Nikon 24-70; who knows what the new Nikon will be like when it comes out later this year or next
  • A 70-200 f2.8 – here I again hear the Canon 70-200 IS II is better than the Nikon equivalent
  • A portrait lens (the Canon 85mm f1.2L II seems amazing albeit impractical; both brands have nice, affordable 85mm f1.8 lenses)

What I photograph: editorial style fashion and people shots at parties and at fashion shows, mostly in low light, with or without flash.

I care a lot about nice and creamy bokeh, and am willing to pay for it. I’m not selling my shots. Photography is a hobby for me.

I know how much this will cost, and don’t really care if one system is 20-30% more expensive / cheaper than the other.

Which system will give me more beautiful, editorial style, higher quality images please?

Is it true that the fashion photography world is on Canon? If it is, why?

Another consideration perhaps is that Nikon seems to be at least a year or two ahead in eliminating AA filters. Not sure how much that should play into my decision.

Thank you all!

DPReview007's gear list:DPReview007's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow