I love Hong Kong.

Started Mar 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Julius T Santos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,463Gear list
Like?
Re: I love Hong Kong.
In reply to The A-Team, Mar 5, 2013

The A-Team wrote:

After a few months of delay, I finally went full frame and got a 6D. Exciting times!

One of the great things about living in Hong Kong is the price of new gear. For some reason, things are just cheaper than the states, and especially Europe.

I got a 6D kit + 24-105L for $2320. The body alone would have been $1675. I place my savings at about $300 on the kit compared to B&H.

Further, I got a 50 1.4 for $375 (nothing special there), and a 70-300 IS for $390 (definitely a good deal there).

All these from reputable dealers, with official Canon warranties, where the service is outstanding in HK.

Feeling good! But curious, why is HK cheaper than pretty much everywhere else when it comes to camera gear? And why are some lenses significantly cheaper, while others are more or less the same?

-- hide signature --

www.aputure.com/blog

For a few reasons:

a)  it's tax free

b)  less shipping cost from Japan

c)  competitive marketplace

Tin Cheung which has a branch at K11 building on TST as well as Stanley St is a good place to go as well as Echo ... I would avoid the shops on Nathan Road if at all possible.

I get most of my gear from HKG and the Canon Service Center which is located on Nathan Road provides excellent customer service.

-- hide signature --

www.juliussantos.com

Julius T Santos's gear list:Julius T Santos's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow