What's the future of the A mount?

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Questions thread
PaddyC
Regular MemberPosts: 164Gear list
Like?
Re: What's the future of the A mount?
In reply to VirtualMirage, Mar 5, 2013

Canon has three lens lines (FF EF, APS-C EF-S, EF-M) as well as Nikon (FF, APS-C DX, 1 series). And both are divided across just two different types of lens mounts, the same as Sony (A mount and E mount).

The only difference I see here is you mentioned the FF E-mount that hasn't even been released yet as a digital camera (aside from video camcorder NEX-VG900), let alone there are no FF E-mount lenses for sale yet. If you count only the currently available lens lines, Sony has no more than Canon and Nikon.

So I am failing to see exactly what you are trying to label as a concern being that Sony isn't juggling more than the other major competitors.

All good points. But Sony is seen as (and is in some ways) working from behind to compete against Canon and Nikon. Certainly the lens options for A mount are not as broad and deep as those from Canikon. Sony is still trying to build the A system (and it's sales) not just maintain and add if you will.

Sony have also been seeking market differentiation. So it's not crazy to think that an FF NEX system could become a pro/high-end wonder cam. Then you evolve the NEX line to take replace the alpha mount.

Not saying that's what's going to happen. And if I didn't visit forums and rumour sites(!) I wouldn't even care. But speculation abounds.

PaddyC's gear list:PaddyC's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow