Started Mar 5, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
QuimOlhado
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Canon Powershot SX50 for Wildlife?
Mar 5, 2013

I made a post in the Nature and Wildlife forum about deciding between a long-range DSLR lens for my Canon Rebel T3i or going with a superzoom camera (the Powershot SX50 in this case). It seemed that most suggested I would be disappointed by the results of a superzoom.

To give a little background: I do have the DSLR with two lenses (totaling from 18mm-250mm), so I have that range covered for family events and other similar times. I am a hobbyist – a college student who simply enjoys photography who earns nothing from doing it. I will be working in Yellowstone National Park this summer, and I would really like a camera (or lens) to capture the local fauna. Range is key!

I am aware that the quality of a superzoom will not be as good compared to a DSLR with a quality lens – smaller sensors, poorer ISO performance, etc. Still, the SX50 is cheaper than most long-range lenses that I have seen.

So my question to all of you Canon Powershot SX50 owners (particularly those who use it to shoot wildlife) is this: for a hobbyist who enjoys wildlife photography, would the SX50 be the way to go? I've seen some really nice pictures around, but it would be nice to hear from you. Would this be a purchase that I would end up regretting?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow