What's the future of the A mount?

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Questions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,489Gear list
Like?
Re: What's the future of the A mount?
In reply to PaddyC, Mar 5, 2013

How is it much different than the major competitors?

Canon has three lens lines (FF EF, APS-C EF-S, EF-M) as well as Nikon (FF, APS-C DX, 1 series).  And both are divided across just two different types of lens mounts, the same as Sony (A mount and E mount).

The only difference I see here is you mentioned the FF E-mount that hasn't even been released yet as a digital camera (aside from video camcorder NEX-VG900), let alone there are no FF E-mount lenses for sale yet.  If you count only the currently available lens lines, Sony has no more than Canon and Nikon.

So I am failing to see exactly what you are trying to label as a concern being that Sony isn't juggling more than the other major competitors.  The only thing that may weigh more on Sony is that their E-mount has been more successful than the EF-M and 1 series, placing more of a demand for E-mount lenses.  Bur remember that part of the E-mount success isn't so much the E-mount lenses, but because Sony has allowed the ability for 3rd parties to easily offer adapters for a wide variety of lenses.  So several people are mounting A-mount, EF-S, Nikon, Conikon, etc to the E-mount via adapters.

So, I personally, don't see this as a reason for them to give up on the A-mount.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow