photographer Ming Thein's simple message to Ricoh and others.... !

Started Feb 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
madmaxmedia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,525
Like?
Re: your drawing turns "real"
In reply to Tom Caldwell, Mar 5, 2013

It's marketing that ultimately drives feature inclusion and exclusion. I rarely ever use built-in flash, but understand why cameras have them instead of a OVF- the camera makers have determined (sometimes correctly, sometimes incorrectly) that a flash is more important to more users than an OVF. And size is also one of those features- if you imagine 2 largely similar cameras from different makers on the shelf, but one is significantly larger due to a nice OVF, which will sell better?

Of course, not all cameras are designed with soccer moms as main use case. But there are more soccer moms (or dads) out there than dedicated amateurs, and only so many design resources to go around.

OTOH somtimes going bold and against the grain works well too, the customer may not always know what they want. I think the Fuji x100 has a really nice one with some nice modern tricks.

Personally, I love big, bright OVF's but don't mind clip-on units to fulfill that function. I don't use built in small tunnel OVF's at all.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow