What's the future of the A mount?

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Questions thread
RichV
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,896Gear list
Like?
Re: What's the future of the A mount?
In reply to PaddyC, Mar 5, 2013

I think the plan at Sony is to always keep an eye on what's making money, to keep growing the unique aspects of their market (the ones nobody else can compete well in - it's interesting to note how Sony bought a stake in Olympus), and that they know the A-mount will go away at some point - but that if it does too soon, it'll have a strong negative impact on their reputation and confidence levels.  They're pretty obviously not at a level, yet, to compete in the pro-body market (and it might also be that they'd produce too few converts for the investment), and I wouldn't be surprised to see their bodies (in all models) "cap" at the < $3500 US value range (I use the term because I think the A99 should be priced a couple hundred dollars less than it is, when compared to the other brands). (It's interesting to note that in the comments re: today's Nikon 80-400 announcement, there's more than one entry on how it's even more outrageously priced than Sony gear).

I think the A mount will be around for another 4-5 years at least; Sony's still a ways off, I think, from being able to provide an alternative that won't alienate the bulk of their A-mount customers.

-- hide signature --
 RichV's gear list:RichV's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 50mm F1.4 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow