Monitors viewing comfort : CCFL backlighting versus LED backlighting ?

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Re: Monitors viewing comfort : CCFL backlighting versus LED backlighting ?
In reply to alpshiker, Mar 5, 2013

There have been many improvements in both CCFL and LED backlights in recent years.  CCFLs are not as bright as LED in general, but they have issues with differing brightness across the field of view, and lowered output over a number of years, plus they vary enough over short time periods to make calibration a frequent thing.  LEDs are much more uniform across the field of view and have very little variation as a function of time, relegating calibration to an infrequent checkup.  However, most LED panels run WAY too bright for matching with Printer output.  Therefore, when calibrating your monitor, it is critical to get the output set to somewhere between 90 to 120 cd/m2.  This usually relates to about 50-60% of maximum.  I have never noticed any problem with "flickering" LEDs.  I believe there is also an issue with "color temperature" of the backlight.  In modern LCD monitors, light shines from behind the screen "through" the pixels.  So if the color temperature of the backlight is colder (more blue) for instance, it might be harder to calibrate the screen.  That is why calibration pucks and software have had to be changes and modified to calibrate LED backlit screens.  It's possible that in the near future we may be using OLED screens which will eliminate the backlight issues.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-} www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow