The US won't have mirrorless? (Sans Mirror)

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
wolfeel
Regular MemberPosts: 168
Like?
Re: I wonder.........
In reply to tedolf, Mar 5, 2013

tedolf wrote:

amalric wrote:

secretworld wrote:

DP review is also very slow with reviewing m4/3. I think that is the main cause

LOL. I think it's a chicken-egg problem. I remember a few years ago when Olympus disbanded Olympus America (marketing). This was happening even before m4/3.

OTH Americans like it big, so it might not only be poor distribution. Also, expect Asia to dictate the taste in cameras. Women, especially.

Not a macho world anymore, so perhaps American males take revenge

Am.

-- hide signature --

I have been thinking about something related recently and this dovetails in nicely.

I wanted to start a thread about it but I am sure it would get deleted.

I think Americans are lazy....

lazy photogaphers that is. Most dSLRs sold in the U.S. are the bottom entry level models. They are essentially very high performing point n shoot cameras perfect for soccer moms to take pictures of little Johnny and Suzy playing soccer.

Micro 4/3 cameras are not really great point n shoot action cameras. No doubt they can get these shots but it takes some knowledge and patience to do that. Soccer mom's can't be bothered. In Japan, and to some degree Europe I think amatures take some pride in being "photographers" so u 4/3 works well for them. Americans just want to point and push the button and get a good shot.

I remember a recent thread where one poster stated with pride that he was not a "photographer", just a "documenter"!

Recent threads from new OM-d owners bare this out. One guy had the camera for a week and couldn't figure out how to get the focus box up off the bottom of the screen!

A lady took 1000 photo's and posted her three best-they were horrible, technically and compositionally and showed a total lack of basic photographic skills. Her last camera? Canon Rebel.

We have seen thread after thread of new OM-d owners posting just horrible photographs with no conception or effort in composition at all.

Why now?

Because the OM-d is attracting U.S. bottom level dLSR owners like no PEN has ever done.

So I think the U.S. is going to be a tough sell for u 4/3 unless they PDAF tracking AF a la Nikon 1.

Tedolph

I'm not convinced that it's as you put it "laziness". I think in general, Americans tend to prefer bigger things. Bigger cars, bigger homes, oversized jewelery etc. Throw in the anemic economic recovery and the m4/3 will have a hard time capturing that market. GH3 with it's larger size might be more appealing to the American buyer than PEN or GX cameras. Lastly like somebody else pointed out, mainstream consumers have pretty much traded in dedicated cameras for their smart phones and the ability to instantly share their snaps via social media.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow