What is the maximum ISO you're comfortable shooting (and what camera)?

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Questions thread
TOR8472
Senior MemberPosts: 1,565Gear list
Like?
Re: depend on definition of "comfortable"
In reply to nfpotter, Mar 5, 2013

I agree, but it depends on your definition of "comfortable". In my reply above, comfortable meant what will I set my max ISO at without worry. If the light is really bad, I go higher than my comfort levels, but I also carefully balance shutter speed against motion blur and high ISO noise to find an acceptable compromise for each specific situation.

nfpotter wrote:

I'm quite surprised how many people limit themselves to lower ISO's. Maybe it's the type of shooting some of you do, but as for me, I shoot everything. I would never rather have missed a shot (or just given up and not taken it at all), or had a motion-blurred shot, than to use a high ISO.

Oh, and BTW, people, there is no need to "explain" in your post that using lower ISO values is better. I think everyone here knows that (at least one would HOPE so).

Try going to the club my band just played last Saturday night (SUPER dark, horrible lighting), and limiting yourself to ISO 1600 or even 3200, with a Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-f/4 attached. You would have left with either no shots, or a lot of motion-blurred shots.

TOR8472's gear list:TOR8472's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow