What is the maximum ISO you're comfortable shooting (and what camera)?

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Questions thread
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,051Gear list
Like?
Re: What is the maximum ISO you're comfortable shooting (and what camera)?
In reply to JCB123, Mar 5, 2013

JCB123 wrote:

Sammy Yousef wrote:

I typically shoot my D90 at base ISO (200), but was wondering what most people actually shoot at regularly with the newer bodies. I will typically set auto ISO up to 800 but no more for action photography.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

D90 pretty much the same as you. I'll sometimes stretch to ISO 1600 if I really need to but prefer to limit to ISO 800 and prefer to keep to ISO 200 wherever possible.

For the D7000 you can add a stop to all the high ISO and I am happy to shoot at ISO 100 to 400 anytime. If I don't need to get the maximum out of the sensor (won't need to print large) then ISO 3200 is acceptable, but the problem here is that I tend not to want to commit to output usage restrictions (or even think about that) while I am shooting - I prefer to keep all options open if possible. Nevertheless if you are shooting in low natural light conditions, need to freeze subject motion and cannot or prefer not to use flash. ISO 3200 can sometimes get you a shot that would otherwise not be possible.

RX100 as for D90 but usage is different and I am not expecting to print an ISO 800 image very large.

E-PL2 Close to D7000 for ISO vs IQ, but not quite. It is a less capable camera in other respects so usage as yet is not really the same, although the purpose of owning the E-PL5 is to provide a more portable alternative to the D7000.

Regards

John

Pretty close to my limits on the D90, though I tend to shoot at ISO 400 most of the time walking around to get decent shutter speeds on my walkaround lenses in the often overcast or tree-covered Pacific Northwest.  I try to not go above ISO 800 and never attempt anything over ISO 1600 - by that point capture quality has degraded to about the level of my XZ-1 at ISO 200, which is also where I stop using that camera. I will run base ISO when conditions allow it, but for most handheld work base ISO is not quite sensitive enough.

The ability of the D7000 generation of cameras to deliver 1-2 stops more clean ISO when NR enhanced in post is very very useful for handheld travel shooting, and in fact necessary to take full advantage of the increased resolution.  But the lower base ISO of modern DSLRs I really can't take great advantage of, again because of the need to use slower lenses for weight and size constraints.  So even more so than the D90 I would be shooting typically at ISO 400.  My old D80? Oof.  ISO400 max and typical.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow