Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CaptureIT
Regular MemberPosts: 288
Like?
5D III JPG vs RAW detail ?
Mar 5, 2013

Moving on from a 5DII I've noticed threads here re the 5DIII's softness of JPG's compared to RAW. I did not see this with the 5DII.

I went for a walk today and did my best to get some test shots in both RAW and JPG. I used tripod, mirror lockup & focused using live view set to x10. And it's there in all shots. In this small crop, look at the roof tiles on the church and the tiles in the center of the lowest roof. The difference is not huge yet if pushing for the most detail you clearly have to use RAW. The RAW image also has slightly richer color.

Click the image above for a larger version..

To answer the usual questions yes it was a hazy day & the RAW image was converted to TIFF using DPP 3.12.52 (all NR off in camera & DPP), only slight contrast increase then saved with the lowest possible JPG compression. Only slight contrast increase applied to the composite image above as a final step.

Why has Canon done this ?, trying to keep the JPG file size down ?, or making it so they can then say the RAW image detail is better ?. I feel like I've lost the extra 2mp moving up from the 5DII unless I use bulky RAW. Due to file size issues I'd only use RAW for very important images (weddings or large landscape prints).

Please correct in the next FW update Canon !.

Regards

-- hide signature --

Formerly RichardE (heiwixivhx). Member since 2001.
Various Fuji, Canon D30, D60, 20D, 5D, 5DII, 5DIII.
Bigma 50-500, 24-105L, MP-E 65, Rode Stereo Mike.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow