Finally, a rumored price for the NEX-9...

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
Finally, a rumored price for the NEX-9...
Mar 5, 2013

So I very surprisingly don't see a thread on this yet. If there is one, and I'm blind/stupid, please forgive me everyone. I promise you'd all like me if you got to know me!

Andrea at SAR has just suggested that the price of the FF NEX-9 is going to be between $3000 and $4000. This isn't just in line with the predictions of some of us pessimists who thought that the idea of a sub-$2k body was a pipe dream - it's a rather substantial distance over that line (yes, I realize that's a slightly mixed metaphor). I think it firmly establishes the idea that a full-frame mirrorless camera is inherently an ultra-premium product (at least in Sony's world), and in doing so prices the vast majority of us out of one.

Some food for discussion:

• The engineering behind creating a successful FF mirrorless camera is clearly impressive, and likely represents an enormous undertaking. Leica's M9, for example, has huge color-shift issues à la the NEX-7, but with a significantly longer flange distance that would theoretically make that problem much more manageable. So should we pretty much accept that any FF NEX will and should cost an arm and a leg?

• This is obviously just a rumor anyway, but even the rumor itself seems to suggest that Sony has doubts about their pricing. If the description of a camera that genuinely competes with FF SLRs in terms of features is true, would you rather buy a simplified, bare-bones version (say a FF NEX-F3) if it meant a much lower price?

• Huge hypothetical here: having seen this, if Samsung's mythical NX-R is released soon and does indeed turn out to be full frame and $2k-$2500, will lots of you switch over? Or will you wait Sony out in the hopes that they'll realize a $3500 camera won't compete and give us something cheaper? I see lots and lots of people saying things "well all of these lenses are going to be so much better when the FF NEX is released," referring to their legacy glass - is using that glass more important (keeping in mind that you can't use an M-mount lens on an NX camera without swapping the camera's actual mount) than sticking with Sony?

Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-F3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NaaaNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow