The US won't have mirrorless? (Sans Mirror)

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
vin 13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,386Gear list
Like?
Re: Old Japanese execs don't get the western market.
In reply to Thomas Kachadurian, Mar 5, 2013

Thomas Kachadurian wrote:

1. They are slow to ship here. You can't sell what isn't on the shelf.

2. They do not design for this market. We don't buy green and pink cameras. No viewfinder on the E-P5?

3. The pricing is inconsistent.

4. Too many models with too little difference.

5. Weird design choices, like putting 16x9 screens on 4/3 cameras.

If I, or ten other people I can think of, could get their ear I could tell they how to own the us market. But they won't listen to us, we are not old Japanese men steeped in tradition.

Tom

Some of that applies in Europe too, we're not old Japanese men either.  Yet according to the original post, sales here are still similar to last year.  I wonder if that wasn't a huge chunk to begin with.  From what I see entry-level Canon and Nikon DSLRs with kit lenses are still the most popular cameras that aren't also phones.

In fairness, both panasonic, olympus and sony advertised heavily on UK TV just before Christmas, almost as much as Canon and Nikon.  Also they're reasonably prominent in stores, though Canon/Nikon are more so.  Perhaps most people just aren't interested.  I'm not sure if any amount of advertising in the world can change that.

vin 13's gear list:vin 13's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 350D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow