The US won't have mirrorless? (Sans Mirror)

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,844Gear list
Like?
Re: The US won't have mirrorless? (Sans Mirror)
In reply to amalric, Mar 5, 2013

I think its to do with the psyche of the predominant buyer group, westernised males
Olympus had better stats with 43rds cameras in the US than they are with micro, likewise at that time Olympus offered two very similar models, the E420 and the E-520, which had IS. Naturally the IS equipped camera was larger.

Remember the ethos of mirrorless cameras is smaller equipment, yet the 520 outsold the 420. And its not as though they didn't especially market 420's small capability, they even offered it with the 25mm pancake, something they didnt do for any other body. They went to greater effort with 420 than 520, yet in the US at least it backfired.

I think the western, or lets face it, US male isnt that interested in 'small', and I also think this is why Sony offer both their pseudo SLR and mirrorless cameras, it just gives them more reach into the market place to have both.

With 43rds passed into latency Olympus faces just this problem, if they're in the business of selling cameras, sooner or later they have to realise they can only sell what people will buy.

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow