WARNING: Fake Hoya filters from eBay seller hkdirect

Started Feb 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ezzo
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Re: WARNING: Fake Hoya filters from eBay seller hkdirect
In reply to Tony_J, Mar 5, 2013

Ah. I have both UV(C) and UV(0) filters, purchased from US dealers. Well, both of them have a matt finish, UV(C) is made in Philippines and UV(0) is made in Japan.

The reply I got from the Hoya distributor in Australia is that there are products which do not have a country of origin on the box. He did not say anything about the printing on the filter. Neither did he respond to the email which I asked about the "glossy" finish.

I have many older Hoya filters and none of them have a glossy finish.

It does not make any sense that a filter designed to reduce flare and reflections(from the filter) will use a glossy finish. What is the point of the multi-coated optics, high light transmission etc then?

As for the B+W filter, I feel that it is genuine but it is definitely not Brand New. The reply from B+W:

"Genuine F-Pro and XS-Pro mounts have the filter type and size on the front, not the side.
Slim mounts have all text on the side.
Digital Pro mounts have been modified. Now the text description is on the front.
Boxes have been updated.
" Brass vs Alloy: if the dealer does not confirm it, ask. Once you hold it, the brass version is obviously heavier. If you are not sure whether a filter is genuine or fake, you have the choice to decide where you are going to buy it.
We recommend you purchase it from an authorized B+W dealer.
However, photographs of boxes and the text on the filter will not confirm a legitimate B+W product.
Alloy rings are not authorized, with one exception: Slim circular polarizers are made of aluminum for manufacturing reasons.

Hope this helps anybody who is unsure whether their filter is genuine or not.

And also, as a feedback for this particular eBay seller.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow